Archive for April 2015
David Bokovoy is the author of Authoring the Old Testament. He is a faithful Latter-day Saint with an extensive Hebrew and Biblical scholarly background. This book has been written specifically for an LDS audience introduced into many fields of biblical scholarship typically foreign to LDS. Some topics discussed:
- Common Mormon and non-LDS Christian views about the OT
- Are our beliefs and doctrines today the same as when our religion began several thousand years ago?
- What are the sources for many portions of the OT?
- Christian translators in the 1611 KJV introduced Christ into the OT by adding many notations in the many chapter summaries.
- How do Mormon views about Elohim and Jehovah compare with what we find in the OT?
- There are different views about the Joseph Smith Translation of the OT.
- Joseph Smith's interest in Hebrew and the OT is very interesting.
- Some thoughts on Book of Abraham, Book of Mormon, OT and history.
Some comments and discussion:
- Elder Holland about creation
- The claim that Jesus did not use hairspray
- How can you believe if doctrine changes?
- Martin Harris was only interested in money
- A caller maintains that the US should follow the OT, thus executing homo-sexuals
- Ancient sources explain black skin