118. Mormon Marriage
A story by Wilted_Flower was posted on the internet (http://redd.it/2pawvc). The author tells of her experience with several Mormon men which did not appear to result in marriage but with a non-Mormon man, their marriage was imminent. Her bishop discouraged this relationship. After a number years, at the age of 58, never married, she left the Church because it had robbed her of this one opportunity. More than 200 comments were posted.
I invited a guest to talk about the Church's teaching and encouragement about marriage in contrast to the claims of Wilted_Flower and most of the comments.
Guest: Paul Brandt is a psychotherapist specializing in individual, couples and family therapy. He has maintained a private practice in the Salt Lake City area for twenty-two years.
These are phrases typical of those portraying the Church:
- I just hate the church and what it does to peoples lives.... No more mormon men for me.
- You were lied to, had your youth and your first love stolen from you... you missed your chance of happiness.
- This cult took everything from you.
- I hate seeing another example of the Mormon faith crushing the happiness out of a girl's life.
- Mormonism Enslaves women
- ...indoctrinated and brainwashed
- There are many Church doctrines and teachings that seem contrary to the comments.
- In regard to Wilted_Flower who made the decision?
- Marriage is not for everyone
- Mormonism is not for everyone
- Many diverse views among LDS
- There are many reasons for personal relationships not based upon indoctrination.
- Paul discussed six stages of moral reasoning
- A caller gave examples of mixed messages
- Paul spoke of an LDS program - Strengthening Marriage - started about 6 years ago
- A caller quoted from the Bishop's Handbook about regarding decisions on marriage or divorce