Archive for September 2015
I spent some time talking with a caller on the Mountain Meadows Massacre. He made many claims which I believe solid sources rebut.
- Brigham Young ordered the massacre through George A. Smith
- His purpose was to murder and steal always accepted by Mormons
- He knew all about the wagon train
- The upcoming 1857 Utah War did not concern his interest in the MMM
- He declared independence from the U.S. on August 24, 1857 celebration
- BY was guilty but was given a pardon by the President
- Denied that John D. Lee reported to BY in September
Ezra Booth, one of the earliest converts soon left and wrote 9 letters which were published in the Ohio Star newspaper from Oct 13-Dec 8, 1831. He addressed many topics claiming accurate accounts, events and beliefs of Mormonism. Much is contrary from Mormon sources. I addressed several of his claims which probably all historians would obviously conclude false.
- Joseph Smith claimed all authority and live beyond any gospel laws and principles
- Commit adultery
- Kill the husband
- Common consent
- Church covenants
Christopher Smith, interested in Mormon history, has published an article in the Journal of Mormon History, "Playing Lamanite: Ecstatic Performance of American Indian Roles in Early Mormon Ohio."